Since 1993, the Silent Rivers team has been made of the top artisans amongst the building and remodeling field in Greater Des Moines. We believe in supporting meaningful careers in our trade and creating an enjoyable environment.
If your personal values align with our company values, please contact us about available positions. We look forward to connecting with you!
Senior Lead Designer
Silent Rivers Design+Build is seeking someone with strong, creative talent, along with exceptional leadership and aesthetic management skills, to be a part of a nationally recognized and award-winning team. As Senior Lead Designer you will play a leadership role in a creative team of designers and collaborate with clients to create inspiring projects and timeless homes.
- Create/monitor project schedules and budgets.
- Enhance the process and deliverables of the design process through continuous training, support and mentoring
- Refine and implement department and drafting standards utilizing Autodesk Revit and AIA best practices.
- Interact and build relationships with clients and vendors.
- Collaborate with internal project teams to establish budget appropriate designs and proposals.
- Generate and develop overall design concepts and formulate presentation strategies.
- Prepare, present and/or review the Project Scope Document (PSD) that outlines project goals, budget, and timelines.
- Manage client allowances and product selections during and after the design process.
- Document any specific sources for products and materials specified for your projects.
- Research and verify compliance within planning & zoning and building & energy codes.
- Produce P&Z and/or building permit packages and advocate for the client as necessary.
- Create construction drawings utilizing Revit software to include layout of existing conditions, conceptual designs, design development, refinement, details, and construction documents. Working drawings may include plans, elevations, sections, and details.
- Prepare and present construction contracts to the client, accompanied by the construction drawings as the written scope of work and costs of construction.
- Maintain a minimum weekly average of 20+ billable hours in design.
Estimating and Production
- Collaborate with the internal estimating team for budget-appropriate designs and construction proposals.
- Provide aesthetic management during construction of project to ensure design intent.
- Provide design solutions for any unforeseen site conditions as necessary.
- Participate in Post-Production Assessments providing feedback and gathering insight for use in future projects.
Marketing & Sales
- Contribute to monthly blog content
- Assist with online social marketing efforts (Facebook, Houzz, etc…)
- Complete Project Summary write ups and request client testimonials
- Assist with award submissions
- Be available to work trade show and networking events
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- 10+ years of experience as a Designer/Architect.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Design, or related field preferred.
- 10+ years of experience with Autodesk Building Suite, AutoCAD, & Revit.
- 5+ years of experience in overseeing the preparation of design-phase deliverables, including bid/construction documents.
- Strong proficiency in building & energy codes, construction practices, & architectural design.
- Strong leadership and people skills.
- Experience in project and client management.
- Experience with estimating preferred but not required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Collaborative and professional work ethic.
Simple IRA plan with 3% matching by employer, Flex Spending Plan, Paid Holidays, and Paid Vacation.
$60,000 to $80,000/year
Autodesk Revit: 10 years (Preferred)
Design/Architecture: 10 years (Preferred)
Who is Silent Rivers:
Silent Rivers is the premier residential design+build remodeling company in central Iowa. We specialize in room additions, kitchens, baths, whole house remodels, new construction, custom cabinetry, and furniture. Driven by artistry, craftsmanship and attention to detail, our Designers and Artisans create customized spaces for a broad variety of client requests. Because we exceed the industry expectations for continuing education, and because we focus on strengthening connections to the natural environment, our award-winning team also has unparalleled expertise in numerous design+build disciplines. For more information, please visit www.silentrivers.com
About the Ideal Candidate:
Someone that can lead by example and prides themselves on the refinement of their work as well as efficiency of their time. A talented problem-solver that is detailed, professional, and loves to serve clients. A professional that can complete projects on time and on budget, and ensure our past clients are cared for after construction,. A caring approach is necessary, and an individual drive is expected.
About the Position:
As Care+Repair Artisan you will:
- Lead & manage schedules and trade-contractors on multiple remodeling or new construction projects.
- Be responsible for understanding the plans & specifications on your assigned projects.
- Lead all communications with clients during the construction phase.
- Need the skills to perform framing, carpentry, tile, drywall, painting, and general repair and maintenance of residential structures, as well as supervise other Artisans and trade-contractors onsite, depending on the size & scope of the project.
- Manage, control, and communicate the project schedule to all stakeholders, ensuring building materials and trade-contractors will be onsite when needed.
- Expedite timely completion of assigned work to maintain schedule and budget goals.
- Work closely with Sale team, Designers, and Production Manager to ensure projects are completed on-time, within budget and to the standards & specifications in which they were sold.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe jobsite.
- Read and interpret paperwork, including all plans and specifications, purchase orders, subcontractor work orders, and cost updates. Bring questions, discrepancies, and unusual conditions to the attention of the
- Production Manager via verbal and written reports.
- Uphold and Embody the “Silent Rivers Way”
- Be professional, courteous, and customer service minded.
- Uphold our standards of superior craftsmanship and leadership.
- ALWAYS be learning and perfecting your craft
- 10+ years in residential construction is required.
- 5+ years in a project management type position is preferred.
- Possess a strong work ethic and a spirit of collaboration.
- Proficient in deconstruction, rough framing, siding, decking, interior millwork, cabinetry, painting, and minor drywall work.
- Ideally also possess skills in some aspects of plumbing, electrical, and HVAC
- Experience with Builder Trend a plus
- Be responsible for own tools.